Sunday 6 July 2014

Winged Eyeliner Troubles and Review: Maybelline Eye Studio ® Master Precise™ Liquid Liner and Hyper Glossy Liquid Liner

WARNING: THIS IS A LONG POST BECAUSE I APPARENTLY LIKE TALKING ABOUT EYELINER?


Let me start this off by saying that I am absolutely horrible at applying winged eyeliner. I first started wearing eyeliner out in public for one of my best friend's 18th which was December 2013 (I was probably practicing it in my bathroom about two weeks prior to this) and since then, it's become part of my daily makeup routine. Not winged eyeliner! Just a normal black line across my upper lash line.

When I first started I'd use one of Maybelline's gel liners (wow, I honestly never noticed until now how much Maybelline liner's I use) and since then I've gone all over the place with drug store gel liners, liquid liners (rarely), kohl and eyeliner pencils, and felts. I'd basically try everything on the market because I was that obsessed with it. You know when you find a new product or item of clothing and you just use it as much as you can? That was me with eyeliner. I'd wear it all the time.

Now however, I really only wear it when I'm going out with friends or going to work. If I'm just going to the shops or hanging out with the family, I tend to lay off the liner and heavier makeup (though really, since I hardly wear bronzer or eyeshadow, eyeliner is the heaviest I wear), I tend to avoid it. Recently, I tried experimenting with winged eyeliner and after watching videos on YouTube explaining 'simple techniques' that will 'guarantee' 'perfect winged eyeliner', I just about gave up.

I had tried the sticky tape method, the spoon trick, the drawing it on with soft kohl pencil, then going over the top, the blah-blah-blah. You get my point. I looked everywhere. One of the main problems I had found was that the wing stroke simply wasn't going on where I wanted it to go on. The ink would bleed out, or the gel/pencil/tip would be much thicker than I had anticipated and would throw the whole thing off. I could never get the tips perfect and would end up wiping the whole thing off at the last minute. Eventually I found that using my sisters Hyper Glossy Liquid Liner actually worked like I was trying to get all of my other liners too and I made my first (semi-decent) attempt at wearing winged eyeliner out in public. Unfortunately I don't have a picture to show you because I didn't think I'd be writing up a review post, nor do I have a photo to show you now because I've just done a workout (another shoutout to Cassey Ho's Blogilates) so my face is make-up free, but next time I do, I'll snap a photo and show you guys.

Anyway, back on track. I was shopping around Priceline, trying to buy some of the Hyper Glossy liner for myself when I noticed the Master Precise Liner preaching things such as "precision tip" and "thinnest line." Since my main winged eyeliner woes involved the tip being too thick, I figured sure, why not? And so I bought it.

It was one of my best impulse buys.



I tried on the Master Precise Liner when I got home and it delivered. The line coming from the tip was thin and worked with me and for the first time, I didn't need to constantly try again. The line flowed smoothly and didn't bleed and if I needed to adjust angles but filling the wing in, I never overdid it and make it all wonky again. I also found that it stayed on all day and that it doesn't look like it's all dried out like other liners I've used (Rimmel Scandaleyes I'm looking at you.)

I believer that the Master Precise is an amazing tool for people who was trying to learn how to apply winged eyeliner and don't want to stick sticky tape on a sensitive part of the face and I have found that it comes off pretty easily (unlike the Hyper Glossy liner, but I'll get to that in a second.) Though I'm not at that stage of doing the fancy drawings like in the picture above (I don't think I'll ever get to that stage), it works wonderfully for a simple cat eye look or winged eyeliner. I have not used it to line my lower lash line (I still use eyeshadow and an angled brush if I ever apply it there), but for winged eyeliner, I love it.

Next up is the Hyper Glossy Liner:


Like I said before, I'm sorry that I don't have any real photos to share with you. But if I do, I'll edit this right away.

This eyeliner has been out for a while and I was surprised that I hadn't gotten it sooner. Things that I loved straight away about this liner was the long length of the brush, the complete jet black colour of the liner and it's glossy finish, and that the bottle seals completely, preventing spillage. The bristles of the brush allow the ink to glide on the eye smoothly and the liner itself can be used to apply both thin and thick lines. I now use it to just apply normal straight eyeliner and I find that it glides on easily and can be easily removed with makeup remover. Though I did intially use it to apply winged eyeliner, I personally find the Master Precise liner easier just because of the amount of control I have with it, but this Hyper Glossy comes a close second.

So I definitely recommend both of these liners to anybody trying out winged eyeliner for the first time. Let me know what you guys think of it (if you own them) and other useful products to use when applying winged eyeliner.

Take care of yourselves <3


---

Eye Studio® Master Precise™ Liquid Liner: http://www.maybelline.com.au/Products/eye-makeup/eye-liner/eye-studio-master-precise-liquid-liner.aspx

Eye Studio® Hyper Glossy™ Liquid Liner: http://www.maybelline.com.au/Products/eye-makeup/eye-liner/eye-studio-hyper-glossy-liquid-liner.aspx

1 comment:

  1. I have nominated you to take part in the 'Liebster Award'. Please take a look at the award on my blog, as I'd love you to take part!
    Much Love ♡
    http://rubywooh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/liebster-award-ruby-wooh.html

    ReplyDelete